xcrmi.dll is considered a type of Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file. Dynamic Link Library files, like xcrmi.dll, are essentially a "guide book" that stores information and instructions for executable (EXE) files - like MpSigStub.exe - to follow. These files were created so that multiple programs (eg. OpenOffice.org Portable) could share the same xcrmi.dll file, saving valuable memory allocation, therefore making your computer run more efficiently.
Unfortunately, what makes DLL files so convenient and efficient, also makes them extremely vulnerable to problems. If something happens to a shared DLL file, either it goes missing or gets corrupted in some way, it can generate a "runtime" error message. Runtime is pretty self-explanatory; it means that these errors are triggered when xcrmi.dll is attempted to be loaded either when OpenOffice.org Portable is starting up, or in some cases already running. Some of the most common xcrmi.dll errors include:
- Access Violation at address - xcrmi.dll.
- xcrmi.dll could not be found.
- Cannot find C:\OpenOfficePortable\App\openoffice\program\xcrmi.dll.
- Cannot register xcrmi.dll.
- Cannot start OpenOffice.org Portable. A required component is missing: xcrmi.dll. Please install OpenOffice.org Portable again.
- Failed to load xcrmi.dll.
- The application has failed to start because xcrmi.dll was not found.
- The file xcrmi.dll is missing or corrupt.
- This application failed to start because xcrmi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Your xcrmi.dll file could be missing due to accidental deletion, uninstalled as a shared file of another program (shared with OpenOffice.org Portable), or deleted by a malware infection. Furthermore, xcrmi.dll file corruption could be caused from a power outage when loading OpenOffice.org Portable, system crash while loading xcrmi.dll, bad sectors on your storage media (usually your primary hard drive), or quite commonly, a malware infection. Thus, it's critical to make sure your anti-virus is kept up-to-date and scanning regularly.