How to make your windows look more like Mac OS X
It is a debate as old as time, which is better? Microsoft’s Windows or Mac’s OS X? Both, Windows and Mac OS X have different and unique abilities in their respective desktop features, creating a heated debate among tech-enthusiasts for years. While both platforms have managed to make a loyal and hefty amount of fanbase, there is no denying that even a lot of Windows users appreciate and love the aesthetic look of Mac OS X. Windows users would definitely love to get their hands on the ‘Dock’, folder stacks and much more.
This article will come in handy for individuals who use Windows and would love to make their screens look more like it has MAC OS X. There are a number of software packages that you can install, that would help you mimic and recreate some of the features which are only available on Mac OS X.
Adding the Dock feature on your Windows 10
Dock has been a fancy feature that users appreciate and have grown to love, there is nothing of that sort in the Windows 10 rather you are stuck with a traditional taskbar. The Dock is not just a ‘LOOKS GOOD ON MY DESKTOP’ feature as some might presume, it is way more than that. It offers unreal functionality to users, you could simply drag and drop your favorite applications, folders, and files and access them fastly.
In order to add the said feature, there is a procedure that needs to be followed.
Since Microsoft doesn’t provide the functionality to add a Dock by default, you will need to download third-party software. To be fair, there is no way you can download an exact replica of the Dock but this still looks good on your PC and offers accessibility, that is much more than what we can say for that traditional windows toolbar.
Here is how you can add the Dock to your Windows OS,
- Download one of the below-given softwares for adding a dock to your OS. For the purpose of this guide, we will use RocketDock,
Downloading an App Launcher
If you want to entirely transform your Windows desktop to a MAC OS X desktop, you will need a Launcher application. One of the most prominent names is the MAC OS X Launchpad.
First off, you will need a WinLaunch starter software, a program having the ability to replicate the MAC OS X Lion Launchpad. Here is how you can install it on Windows,
What you will need to is download a ZIP file then open its compressed folder in File Explorer and then click on ‘Extract All’ to download the file on your PC. If you want to add new backgrounds to the desktop, a + button on the WinLaunch will cater to those needs. For an alternative theme, click Design and Images, then click Current Theme and select the best option as per your own will.
Add Exposé to Windows 10:
You can add the Exposé feature on your Windows 10 by simply downloading the BetterDesktopTool.
- Download the BetterDesktopTool.
- Once you are done installing the software select the ‘Private Usage Option’ in the setup wizard and open the Window shown below. The main purpose of using Exposé is switching between windows, in order for you to do that on a Windows 10, you have to press Alt + Tab.
The main difference is how it displays the thumbnail previews. Now you can open a window from there by selecting it with the cursor, making the whole process easier and faster for you. This is one of the features that you would want in your Windows 10.
Changing themes and Buttons:
In order to make your replica look more realistic, there is a ton of other things you can do. For instance, downloading actual icons from Mac OS X is also possible.
- Download the icons.
- Extract that very folder and move the said icons into your Dock.
- Select any given icon and then click on the Customize icon.
- Press Change icon and select a picture of your own choosing. These pictures are ZNP files, so in order for you to use them as Icons, search for an Icon Archive site. Search for Mac OS X icon for desktops and download the icons of your choosing. After you have downloaded a bunch, right-click the icons on your desktop, select properties, and press change icon button.