Maps.dll is considered a type of Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file. Dynamic Link Library files, like Maps.dll, are essentially a "guide book" that stores information and instructions for executable (EXE) files - like MpSigStub.exe - to follow. These files were created so that multiple programs (eg. Nokia Suite) could share the same Maps.dll file, saving valuable memory allocation, therefore making your computer run more efficiently.
Unfortunately, what makes DLL files so convenient and efficient, also makes them extremely vulnerable to problems. If something happens to a shared DLL file, either it goes missing or gets corrupted in some way, it can generate a "runtime" error message. Runtime is pretty self-explanatory; it means that these errors are triggered when Maps.dll is attempted to be loaded either when Nokia Suite is starting up, or in some cases already running. Some of the most common Maps.dll errors include:
- Access Violation at address - Maps.dll.
- Maps.dll could not be found.
- Cannot find C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Suite\Plugins\Maps.dll.
- Cannot register Maps.dll.
- Cannot start Nokia Suite. A required component is missing: Maps.dll. Please install Nokia Suite again.
- Failed to load Maps.dll.
- The application has failed to start because Maps.dll was not found.
- The file Maps.dll is missing or corrupt.
- This application failed to start because Maps.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Your Maps.dll file could be missing due to accidental deletion, uninstalled as a shared file of another program (shared with Nokia Suite), or deleted by a malware infection. Furthermore, Maps.dll file corruption could be caused from a power outage when loading Nokia Suite, system crash while loading Maps.dll, bad sectors on your storage media (usually your primary hard drive), or quite commonly, a malware infection. Thus, it's critical to make sure your anti-virus is kept up-to-date and scanning regularly.